ADA Accessibility Information
Call (405) 733-4296

Dr. Kent Cohenour will be retiring from our practice effective June 30, 2017

Read Dr. Cohenour's Goodbye Letter

Having Your Oral Surgeon Treat Severe Oral Burns

Posted on 12/20/2016 by Marilyn Pierce
A man covering his mouth, because of an oral burn.
When the foods and beverages you love, such as melty cheese, a bowl of soup or a relaxing cup of tea, are too hot, you might receive a painful burn.

Provided the burn isn't too terrible, it will heal on its own, just a small amount of peeling skin on the roof of your mouth and minor discomfort for a few days. However, if you suffer from a more severe burn, you should see an oral surgeon.

Home Treatment
When your burn is only minor, you can easily treat it at home. Ways to tell you have a first-degree burn is by slight pain, dryness and redness. Drinking cold water or sucking on ice can help soothe the pain while an anesthetic mouth spray or wash can help fight off any infection. An over the counter pain reliever can be helpful as well. It should heal on its own in less than a week.

It is also important to avoid anything that can further irritate your burn. Anything hot, spicy, acidic or salty can lead to pain. If the burns are on your gums, you may also want to avoid eating hard, crunchy foods as well. And take care when brushing and flossing.

Severe Burns

Second and third degree burns require immediate medical attention. A second-degree burn is classified by pain and blistering, as several layers of skin have been affected. Third-degree burns may not be noticeable at first, as nerves have been damaged. Several layers of skin are involved and your skin may turn brown or waxy.

Skin Graft

If you have suffered from a third-degree burn, you will need a skin graft. A skin graft is when tissue from another part of your body, or from a compatible donor, is surgically taken to be attached to the burn site. It is held in place by sutures until it heals. In order to do this, you will be put under general anesthesia. After healing, your mouth will function as normal.

A severe burn is a serious issue. If you think you have a severe oral burn, contact your dentist right away.

OMA Midwest City
2828 Parklawn Drive, Suite 3
Midwest City, OK 73110

(405) 733-4296
(405) 733-4371 - fax

View Doctors and Staff

Home  | Our Team  | Services  | For Patients  | Contact Us  | New Patient Forms  | Scheduling  | Financial / Insurance  | Treatment Instructions  | Pre-Operative Instructions  | Post-Operative Instructions  | HIPAA  | Blog  | Dental Implants  | All-on-4® Treatment Concept  | Wisdom Teeth Extraction  | TMJ Disorders & Facial Pain  | Tooth Extractions  | Sleep Apnea  | Corrective Jaw Surgery  | Cosmetic Maxillofacial Surgery  | Facial Injuries & Trauma  | Oral Pathology  | Outpatient Anesthesia  | Dr. Drew Wendelken